Ingredients - serves 10
- 2¼ lb, uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups coarsely chopped loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 jalapeño chiles coarsely chopped
- mild - remove veins and seeds
- hot - include veins and seeds
- ½ small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
In food processor combine cilantro, chiles, onion and 3 garlic cloves. Finely chop.
Gradually add all remaining marinade ingredients, processing until bright-green paste forms.
Place shrimp in a glass baking dish.
Pour marinade over shrimp.
Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
Turn shrimp several times to marinate evenly.
Heat a frying pan over high heat until hot.
Scoop shrimp with a slotted spoon into frying pan and sauté until pink.
Put Basil in the center of the platter.
Arrange shrimp around the basil.
Garnish with lime wedges.